A Business Is Born

Patrick Boulay and Scott Plum are pleased to announce that on the afternoon of July 20, 2007 their new company was born: New Business Minnesota Publishing Inc.

The birth was preceded by extensive planning and discussions, creation of the partnership, arranging for financing, completion of the business plan, creation of the marketing materials and countless hours of research, interviews and pre-sales presentations to business leaders in the Twin Cities.

All kidding aside, we have taken that great leap into the unknown. I told my wife Carolyn that starting a business is like building a glider. You study and research. Pick the best design you can find. Modify it to fit your needs. Check it with engineers and seasoned pilots. Everybody says it looks great. The right materials were selected. The pilot has more than 20 years experience. Now all we have to do is push it off a cliff and hang on. It should fly.

New Business Minnesota will launch its first monthly issue this fall. Going through the process of starting a business -- I filed for my business name in June -- has given me great insights into what the content should be. Stories need to respect the limited time available to startup entrepreneurs. And advertising should speak directly to the resource needs of new businesses.

As I was planning my budget, it would have been great to have had a copy of New Business Minnesota on my desk. I would have called dozens of the advertisers to get bids on printing my sales materials, health care, legal and accounting, etc.

I still need to get a payroll service. I desperately want to consolidate all my telecom -- cell phones, land line, cable modem, AOL. My inkjet printer is going to wear out soon. A short cut to suppliers and services would have been nice.

Starting a business will be easier once New Business Minnesota is delivered to every new business in the Twin Cities.

NewBizMinn
(nfp)

No comments: